The Abbey was founded in 1946 when 33 monks arrived from our Mother House, Mount St Joseph Abbey, Roscrea, Ireland, to found the first new Cistercian monastery in Scotland since the Reformation.
The Manor House and Estate purchased known as Nunraw was purchased. The name we still use today.
The first group of founders arrived on February 2nd.In 1952 the construction of the new monastery building began and the cornerstone was laid in 1954.
The new monastery was built by members of the community with the help of a small team of full-time workers who were aided by an army of volunteer workers during the summer months.
The monks moved into the new building at the end of 1969 and the Manor House was used totally as the Abbey Guesthouse.
It continued to operate as our Guesthouse until its sale in 2014. It is now a private residence and has reverted to its earlier name, “Nunraw Tower”.
Our new Guesthouse is now open. If you are looking for a time of peace, quiet or rest, our new accommodation is available for those who need to get away for a short break to unwind or recharge their batteries. We offer private rooms with ensuite facilities and full board.